We had barely enough time to map 13 acres the other day as cumulonimbus clouds began popping in the early afternoon near McFarland, Wisconsin. Thank goodness the actual flight took less than eight minutes as we managed to escape the main brunt of the storms, with only a slight sprinkle for a time during the flight. Just as we were packing up to go home heavy rain began falling. We got most of the equipment to the car before hand, except for the landing pad, which actually made for a nice umbrella!
We experimented using a new mapping app and set up a flight perimeter by uploading a kml of the property boundary. We flew at an altitude of 200' with a 70% front and side camera overlap. The area mapped covered a variety of landscapes, including marshland, forest, prairie, and agriculture. The result included 198 ortho-photographs that were stitched together to form a continuous orthophoto mosaic, a plant health map (NDVI), an elevation map, and a 3D model (see below). All in all it was a successful mission and test flight.
Plant Health (NDVI)